Tall Blondes

3:56:00 PM

I've been stuck in kind of a fashion and feelings funk of late. On tumblr I described it as having lost my groove. I'm not sure I've found it yet--probably I need someone to turn me into a llama before that can happen. But this outfit is undeniably groovy. And so am I.
I was looking at old, old blog posts last night. Though I might cringe openly at a good number of those past fashion decisions, I found myself missing the blurry, poorly posed photos and the baby-faced 17 year old who danced around her back yard, improbably balancing her tired old camera on bottles of lighter fluid and striking poses inspired by pin up calendars. 

Something about that time and those photos feels so genuine, so earnest. But with tripods and haircuts and 1000 mile hops comes change. Becoming "good at this," I think, comes dangerously close to making this blog cold and dry for me. I know this is a side effect of adulthood slowly creeping in until it lay its icy grip around your heart, but it's still strange to discover that I'm nearly two years older and in many ways no longer the girl in those photos. Nor am I the person I thought she'd become. I'm not a theater major. I'm not at all svelte. I'm usually far too lazy to go to parties. I don't have a boyfriend. I don't go to protests every weekend. I don't smoke cigarettes and have intellectual conversations with French people in poorly lit nightclubs. 
But I think she'd find it in her heart to be proud of me. You know, after she forgave me for not being the cool cat she wanted to be.
Certainly she'd love this giraffe dress. I think I know where my groove is.
Dress: eShakti
Jacket: Vintage via my mother
Shoes: Thrifted @ Goodwill
Purse: Garage sale
Sunnies: Forever 21










You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. i love this post. it is really strange to look back at yourself, and think of all of the things that have changed, and think of what your expectations for your life were back then. i kind of love that blogging captures a time in our lives that we might not have otherwise have recorded.

    p.s. that dress is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Instagram

Subscribe